Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday Fun Feature - Crochet Headband

How cute is this crochet headband from You Seriously Made That!?


I love me some headbands, even though I don't wear them very often, so I decided to make my own. There was only one problem...I don't crochet. Not even a little (I'm one of those people who doesn't really know the difference between crocheting and knitting). In some of the close up pictures of Cami's headband I noticed that the strands of yarn almost look like braids. I can totally braid! I got out some narrow ribbon and braided away.
Now, Cami lists her measurements in crochet terms, so I did a quick little google search to find out how long 300 chains is (about 5 feet). So I measured three strands of ribbon about 5'6" and three strands about 3 feet long. If I were to do it again I would make my strands a little bit longer, you'll lose quite a bit of length when braiding. Once I had my two braids, which took just over half an hour, I followed Cami's instructions for assembly and I think it looks remarkably similar. I think the biggest difference is that mine is narrower, which I actually like.
So now whether or not you crochet you can make a super cute, easy and fast headband!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love that you took the idea and made it work for you :)

    Thanks for the feature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I was just googling how long 300 chains is and it came up with your plog post. Turns out I was googling it for doing the exact same project you just did! What are the chances of that? I don't knit or crochet either. I'm using "t-shirt yarn" like this girl did: http://www.sugarbeecrafts.com/2011/08/knotted-headband-with-tshirt-yarn.html and I made the t-shirt yarn using this method: http://letbirdzfly.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-to-make-t-shirt-yarn.html
    ...just in case you're interested. :) Thanks so much for the length info!! Your headband turned out very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete